Not sure where to start for your LGBT wedding vows? If you are looking to write your own wedding vows for your wedding ceremony, you might find it difficult to come up with the right words. In this article, we will cover how to write your wedding vows for a gay, lesbian, or same-sex marriage. From sentimental to humorous, these gay wedding vows are sure to bring a tear to anyone’s eye.
How To Write Your Own Wedding Ceremony Vows
❤ The top gifts for your other half on your big day? ❤
Writing your own vows for a wedding is such a special and often difficult task. You want to say so much but might not be sure how to translate those strong emotions into words. Here are five simple steps to getting started writing the perfect vows.
1. Don’t procrastinate
This is certainly one area of the wedding that you DON’T want to procrastinate on. Waiting until the last minute will only cause stress and won’t give you enough time to write and edit your best vows. Be sure to give yourself enough time to get out all of your thoughts and feelings for this once in a lifetime opportunity.
2. Write for your partner, not the crowd
While it might be tempting to write stunning vows to woo your wedding guests, the gay wedding vows are meant for your partner. Make your vows personal by talking about the best aspects of your partner and your love for them. If appropriate, don’t be afraid to throw some humor into your vows.
3. Do your research
Don’t feel like you have to go at it alone with writing your vows. You can search for “gay wedding vows” online, turn to your favorite books, romantic comedies, or even love song lyrics for inspiration in writing the perfect wedding vows for the love of your life.
4. Don’t forget the two most important features
If you are unfamiliar with wedding vows, there are two very important features that you need to be sure to include for your big day; The Declaration of Love and The Promises.
The Declaration of Love is just as it sounds, you are declaring your love for your partner, telling the world what they mean to you in a simple statement or two.
The Promises is what you are promising your partner for the future. That you will always be there for them in all the traditional ways; through sickness and health, thick and thin.
5. Keep them short and sweet
While you will be kissing after your vows, this stands for Keep It Short and Sweet. You don’t want to put your guests and your partner to sleep at the altar with a 20 minute long declaration of love.
While it might sound romantic in theory, your vows shouldn’t take up the entire ceremony. Keep your vows between 1-2 minutes long at about a total of 125-300 words.
Now that you have down the basics of writing some stunning wedding vows, let’s dive into some great wedding quotes that you might want to include.
Gender-Neutral Wedding Vow Wording Ideas
Using gender-neutral wedding vows is great for any type of LGBT wedding as it does not specify a particular gender and can be used to talk about a person of any gender or gender identity.
While traditional wedding vows include statements like “to be my lawfully wedded husband/wife,” gender-neutral terms can change this gender-specific wording to something like, “to be my partner, my best friend.”
There are many other gender-neutral words that you can use within your vows, such as, life partner, better half, significant other, soulmate, sweetheart, other half, or spouse.
Related Post: Non Traditional Wedding Vows Examples
Examples for Gay Wedding Vows
I’m sure you are familiar with the traditional wedding vows that you hear in movies and shows or even attended a few weddings where traditional vows were used. So you are probably already familiar with this example:
“I,____, take thee,_____, to be my lawfully wedded wife/husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death us do part.”
If you are looking for non-denominational vows, you might want to consider this example:
- “This ring I give to you as a token of my love and devotion. I pledge to you all that I am and all that I will ever be as your (husband/wife/partner). With this ring, I gladly marry you and join my life to yours.”
- “This ring is a token of my love. I marry you with this ring, with all that I have and all that I am.”
Or how about:
- “I give you this ring as a symbol of my love. Let it be a reminder that I am always by your side and that I will always be a faithful partner to you.”
Same Sex Wedding Vows
If you are specifically looking for same sex wedding vows, here are a few examples:
1. “I, (name), take you, (name), to be my lifelong spouse (or wife or husband). I will support, honor, and cherish you through all the circumstances we may face, and I will never stop celebrating our love.”
2. “On this day, I commit myself to you. I pledge to be there for you in challenging times, to celebrate with you in times of joy, and to work with you at all times to maintain the health of our marriage.”
3. “Today, I take you to be my spouse. I promise to uphold the individuality and equality of our spirits, to share your joys and sorrows, to care for you in times of sickness, and to love you no matter what happens in our lives.”
Lesbian Wedding Vow
As a lesbian couple, be sure to let your soon to be wife know how much you love and cherish her. Many of these also work for a gay wedding vows as well.
1. You are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen, or can imagine. And whilst that is the easiest thing to see, it is the least interesting thing about you. I spend every minute I am away from you, looking forward to seeing you. I promise to never stop showing you how much you light up the room when you walk in.
2. [Bride] my love, I promise to hold you lightly, but firmly as we venture through life together.
3. [Bride], I have often said you are my anchor, my rock- supporting me on many journeys and steadying me with your love. On this day, in front of all of our community, I pledge my steadiness to you.
4.I deeply respect and admire you for that and I continue to look at you the way I did when we first met – like you are magnificent. And just like then, I still just want to be around you, to hear what you think about things. To ask you questions and tell you what I think. Because you make me feel like everything I think matters. Like everything I do is the best thing ever. And like I can do anything with you by my side, but that I don’t have to if I don’t want to.
5. Companion, lover, friend, playmate — I promise to be the very best me that I can…. For you, for us and for all time.
6. You have always been an impressive woman, but since being with you I have seen how many incredible things you are capable of, and how you are able to do that without stepping on anyone else. I promise to always try to be the foundation you need to achieve everything you want in life.
7.I never understood what it is to be truly loved, what it is to have your love wholly accepted, until you. You make me feel whole, not because you make up half of me, but because you accept all of me into the life we share together. I promise to always do the same for you.
8. As your wife I will continue to appreciate all of you, because everything you are deserves love and attention. I will listen to and believe in your ideas, because I know you have so many great ones. I will support your dreams, because they are mine dreams too. And will I choose you over and over again to be my partner, my future, my equal and my world. I love you.
9. I promise to laugh often and pull together during hard times. I promise to work to be my best, most authentic self, every day.
10. Together, we will broaden our horizons and expand our own boundaries. Together, we will explore the limitless wonders of the world and revel in its beauty.
11. I promise to share my life openly with you;
To cherish your uniqueness;
To honor your spirit and to listen intently;
To hold you gently when you are afraid;
And to softly kiss you when you are hurting.
12. I love you – not only for what you are but also for what I am when I ‘m with you. Not only for what you have made of yourself but for what you are helping me make of myself.
13. I promise to always defend your right to be you- courageous, honest, full of light.
14. The years we’ve spent together have been the most beautiful of my life. Years where I’ve laughed more than ever, grown and learnt more than ever, and where I’ve felt freer than ever to be myself.
15. I want to laugh, cry, plan, adventure and live a zestful life with you.
16. With patience and compassion, I promise to support you through the changes and challenges of our lives together.
17. I want to thank you for how fun and beautiful our life is because of you, your attention to every detail of what’s needed for us to be happy and fulfilled is the reason our life just keeps getting better. I promise to work with you to build our future, and never take for granted what you bring to our partnership.
No matter who you are marrying or their gender, it is your special day! Be sure to let your partner and everyone attending the wedding how much they mean to you with these same sex and gay wedding vows.